Northern Trust is a leading global provider of asset servicing and related services. We have experience helping some of the world’s largest and most complex organizations handle their asset servicing needs, offering guidance and insight with personalized service.
Kate Baucherel (Sphere Network), Anthony Stevens (Northern Trust), Vlad Dramaliev (æternity), Kapil Dhar (LBG)
Enterprise blockchain has been touted as the "next big thing" for blockchain. However, implementing a new and often complex technology into a larger organisation has a number of obstacles that stand in the way of successful adoption and implementation.
Join this session where a panel of experts will discuss:
-The main challenges with implementation and how to overcome them
-Moving from POC to pilot
-Tackling security concerns
-Private, public, and hybrid blockchains
Experts from the Technical Accounting Consulting team at Northern Trust discuss recent pronouncements (GASB 89, 88, 87), implementation guidance (Guides No. 2018-1 and 2017-3) and current GASB projects.
Ryan Ross speaks w/ Northern Trust's Anthony Stevens about how they are thinking about Blockchain, including seeking the right use case before creating a product, how users experience blockchain, why a distributed ledger was the product that fit a need, and how banks are working with regulatory bodies to streamline the industry, and how regulations will shape the industry.
Pension investment costs and charges: Towards greater transparency
Trustees and pension fund executives increasingly need to understand the full cost of managing their investments to enable them to determine if they are receiving value for money. Yet many find it difficult to obtain the information required to complete this analysis. As pension investment costs and charges come increasingly to the fore of industry debate, this webcast will provide ideas for those seeking to gain deeper insight into schemes’ investment costs and charges.
The webcast will:
• Discuss recent industry developments and initiatives aimed at encouraging greater transparency over investment costs
• Outline key areas that trustees can assess when hiring or changing their investment managers
• Highlight the costs associated with certain types of transactions and less commonly known investment-related activity
• Mark Austin, Head of UK Institutional Investor Group, Northern Trust
• Aaron Overy, Director of Business Development, Northern Trust Asset Management
• Sonia Gogna, Head of Large Client Solutions, Aon
Join Northern Trust’s Dan Houlihan, Head of Global Fund Services, North America, and Peter Sanchez, CEO of Global Hedge Fund Services, and learn how we are strategizing about technology decisions to optimize innovation.
Practical Insights on the Rise of Transparency Considerations in Asset Allocation
Investor priorities have shifted since the 2008 financial crisis, but one trend is clear: transparency has become paramount.
As investor appetite for non-correlated assets grows apace, the volume and complexity of alternatives in their portfolios is burgeoning. In order to obtain a level of transparency similar to that available for their traditional long-only investments, they need to overcome the challenges of monitoring, valuing and reporting on this comparatively opaque and illiquid asset class.
The webcast will:
• Review the key findings from Northern Trust/Economist Intelligence Unit’s recent survey of 200 asset managers and institutional investors on the rise of transparency considerations in asset allocation
• Share examples of how investors and managers are managing these considerations
• Explore the role of data in the management process and discuss who ultimately takes responsibility for transparency
• Mark Austin, Head of UK Institutional Investor Group at Northern Trust
• Stuart Lawson, Alternatives Global Product Manager at Northern Trust
• Hamish Mair BSc, MBA, ASIP, Director and Head of Private Equity, BMO Global Asset Management
Steve Locke, Director of Security Technology at Northern Trust, shares insights on today’s cyber security landscape. In this session, he discusses trends in the cyber landscape, cyber attacks of 2017 and strategies for demystifying cyber threats.
Understanding U.S. Funds and Navigating Distribution Channels
The U.S. market is large and can be very complex. Join our experts Barbara Nelligan, Head of Product Management – Global Fund Services North America and David Whitaker, President, Foreside as they provide a concise overview of the U.S. market.
They look to help you gain perspective on market size, trends and other consideration including:
•Fund vehicle options
•Pros and cons of various U.S. distribution channels
•Selling through intermediaries and consultants relations
The final Department of Labor (DOL) Fiduciary Rule was released in April 2016, with an applicability date of April 10, 2017. The Rule redefines when a person becomes a fiduciary by providing investment advice related to retirement assets, including advice to ERISA plan fiduciaries, plan participants and IRA owners.
In February, President Trump directed the DOL to re-examine the Rule. As a result, the DOL delayed the rule’s applicability date to June 9, 2017. Uncertainty remains about whether the Rule will be further delayed, modified or possibly even rescinded.
Join us as we discuss the consequences and recent developments surrounding this Rule.