Caitlin McGaw, President of Candor McGaw Inc.
Business today still runs on the “it’s not what you know, but who you know” philosophy. Nevertheless, most professionals dislike the prospect of networking. It’s kind of like knowing you should be eating green stuff, like kale or spinach, but not having any salad with dinner. Numerous articles identify networking as a critical skill tied to leadership competency; it also increases your visibility for new opportunities and allows you to meaningfully giving back to your profession. You’ve heard it will make you stronger, smarter, and cooler…but you avoid it.
Read more >
Women in technology are still in the minority in IT audit, information security, IT GRC, and other related fields. It’s not surprising that many female IT professionals find it daunting to dive into networking opportunities, even when we know it could open doors and build our careers! Networking feels awkward, salesy, and self-serving. How do you even start?
In this webinar, Caitlin McGaw will discuss the benefits of networking and then jump into practical methods for becoming an adept networker at work, conferences, or any professional event. She’ll also discuss how to leverage the unique advantages that women bring to the networking dynamic.
You will learn:
• How to overcome feeling nervous or awkward about networking
• Women and networking – what we’ve got in our favor
• Goal-setting for networking
• The dynamics of networking – the give and take that makes it effective
• What to listen for in networking conversations
• Body language that will facilitate positive networking
• How to close the loop and follow up after meeting a new contact
• Caring for and feeding your network