Dr. Eric Ben-Artzi, former Deutsche Bank Risk Officer, and Dana Gold, Esq., Senior Fellow at the Government Accountability Project ("GAP") discuss Dr. Ben-Artzi's remarkable whistleblower effort to expose improper accounting practices at Deutsche Bank, as well as GAP's ground-breaking advocacy efforts on behalf of whistleblowers and to advance corporate and regulatory reform.
The SEC has been very active in pursuing enforcement cases relating to accounting errors that led to a restatement. The decisions of the board of directors and management before, during, and after a restatement will be under scrutiny. A company’s actions in investigating and correcting accounting errors and ultimately restating financials are critical to avoid a prolonged SEC investigation, increased liability in civil litigation, loss of confidence by lenders and shareholders, and potential delisting by an exchange. Appropriately managing a restatement requires special care and skill.
Join us for this webcast on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 1:00 pm to hear a leading practitioner’s perspective on how to avoid potential pitfalls in the restatement process.
The space industry is going through a transformational evolution. What used to be an industry whose products/services were affordable only to large enterprises is fast evolving to include small businesses and everyday individuals as potential customers. The small-satellite technology has played a key role in re-establishing the ground rules of operation for space industry participants. The growth of the small-satellite market will be responsible for the birth of multiple space industry segments, while also imposing changes on the existing industry participants. The future has many new opportunities and threats approaching the existing and incoming space industry participants, and small-satellite technologies will be a key connecting link for most of those Mega Trends in motion.
• The briefing will address the scale and scope of opportunities arising from implementation of digital technologies, while identifying main challenges and risk mitigation strategies. Airline and airport managers will find this particularly important as they develop their medium- and long-term business and IT strategies.
• IT suppliers with an interest in identifying growth opportunities in new airline and airport market segments will also benefit by gaining a better understanding of the major trends affecting airline and airport operations.
Why You Must Attend:
• The landscape of the PPE industry is undergoing rapid transformation, with distributors taking a more front-line position in the value chain. Are you ready for the change?
• Several distributors are adopting robust competitive strategies to survive in the dynamic market climate. Are you up to date with the market requirements?
• Are you a PPE manufacturer? If so, what does the changing face of PPE distribution mean to you, and how should you position yourself?
This briefing will highlight key technological developments in the field of agriculture and enabling technologies that will transform the future of agriculture. It will also discuss the main challenges facing farmers, like depleting water supplies, with a focus on California agriculture.
Why You Must Attend:
· Learn about disruptive technologies in agriculture water management
· Get an update on the current state of agriculture in California and the world
· Engage in an interactive Q&A session with leading technology and market experts from Frost & Sullivan
Alter ego/separateness litigation is sought to breach the defendant’s corporate structure in order to obtain access to the financial or other resources of the defendant’s subsidiaries. In order to determine separateness or “pierce the corporate veil,” the plaintiff is generally required to prove that the corporate form was ignored, controlled or manipulated to an extent that it was merely the alter ego of another person or entity and that the misuse of the corporate form would constitute a fraud or used to promote injustice. We will cover the three elements that courts look to in order to determine separateness: (1) the corporation is substantially controlled or manipulated by another; (2) the control was or will be misused to commit fraud or promote injustice and (3) the claimant suffered or will suffer injury as a result. We will also discuss factors that indicate whether affiliated companies should be treated as a single entity including:
•Fraudulent representation by corporation’s shareholders or directors;
•Use of the corporation to promote fraud, injustice or illegal activities;
•Commingling of assets and affairs;
•Failure to observe required corporate formalities;
•Other shareholder acts or conduct ignoring, controlling, or manipulating the corporate form
•Existence of common officers, directors, and employees;
This webcast will provide legal and accounting perspectives on determining separateness or piercing the corporate veil and will cover:
•Need for accounting expertise and issues to examine from an accounting perspective;
•Evidentiary basis and the federal rules of evidence;
•Permitted Uses including accounting expertise and expert opinions;
•Cases where alter-ego claim was made;
•Hypothetical case study
• Learn about the opportunities for growth and expansion in the emerging module technology sector and how this will influence the materials market.
• Understand the future of PV technologies in commercial and residential installations.
• Get an inside look at what's happening in the most PV module-friendly countries in the world.
Why You Must Attend:
• Understand the impact of key IIoT-based technologies that are poised to change MES platforms
• Realize the value addition through dynamic modularization and smart functionalities in MES platforms
• Recognize the opportunities bought about by the transformation of traditional MES into manufacturing intelligence platforms
• Learn key industrial verticals and analyze the implications that are set to occur due to the advent of advanced MES solutions
• Capture the benefits of scaling and orchestrating MES solutions across global manufacturing facilities
• Participate in an interactive Q&A session with Frost & Sullivan and Forcam
Please join Cushman & Wakefield professionals to discuss the industrial market's most pressing questions, including
• Will global headwinds derail the U.S. economy and industrial sector?
• How exposed is the U.S. economy to China and what industries are at the greatest risk?
• Can U.S. manufacturing rebound and grow in the current environment?
• Which industrial markets are the most recession-resilient?
• Will the industrial sector's hot streak continue in 2016?
• How are existing VOC regulations expected to change the future of wood coatings?
• Will solvent-borne technologies continue to dominate the market?
• What is the outlook for sustainable technologies in wood coatings, and how are industrial OEMs and end users reacting?
• How are resin manufacturers for wood coating products expected to be impacted by the rise in demand for bio-based wood coatings?
The Foundation's Chair, the Hon. Huub Willems, and its US and European counsel will discuss its strategy for recovering Volkswagen ("VW") investor losses.
VW’s admitted cheating of emissions tests caused massive declines in the prices of VW ordinary shares, American Depository Receipts ("ADRs") and VW preference shares, erasing tens of billions of dollars in investors' assets. Additionally, VW faces criminal investigations and massive civil penalties from governments around the world, and has set aside over $7.3 billion to cover the costs of the cheating scandal.
The US District Court for the Northern District of California has appointed leading shareholder rights law firm Bernstein Litowitz Berger & Grossmann ("BLB&G") as sole Lead Counsel in the pending ADR securities class action case. Coextensive with BLB&G's appointment as Lead Counsel, the Firm established the Volkswagen Investor Settlement Foundation in the Netherlands under the Dutch Collective Settlement Act (the "Act") to provide a vehicle to recover damages in VW's other publicly traded securities.
The discussion will cover, among other topics, the following:
- The status of litigation and investigations in the US regarding Volkswagen's conduct
- Background on the Dutch Collective Settlement Act and its procedures
- The relationship between the US ADR class action and the Dutch settlement Foundation
- The Foundation's efforts to protect VW investor interests
An interactive Q&A will follow.
- Prof. mr. Huub Willems, Chairman of the Board, Volkswagen Investor Settlement Foundation
- Jeroen van Kwawegen - Partner, Bernstein Litowitz Berger & Grossmann (US Counsel to the Foundation)
- Arnold Croiset van Uchelen - Partner, Allen & Overy (Dutch Counsel to the Foundation)
- Jim Harrod - Partner, Bernstein Litowitz Berger & Grossmann (Counsel for VW investors in the Volkswagen ADR Securities Litigation)
Security issues continue to dominate the global agenda through increasing regional tensions, rising terrorist activity, as well as protection of personal safety and digital identity.
The webinar will cover:
• The evolving dynamics of the security challenge
• Protection of identity and digital footprint
• The use of data across both government and critical infrastructure security
• How cloud, IoT and analytics continue to gain momentum in security applications
• The security versus privacy debate
Professor Bill Black, an expert on white-collar crime, former federal bank regulator, advisor to governments worldwide, and frequent commentator on fraud in America's financial markets, is the featured speaker in the inaugural installment of BLB&G’s Real-Time Speaker Series.
Dr. Black has spent decades exposing the destructive forces of corporate misconduct and regulatory languor. The discussion will focus on his work and current topics in corporate governance, including “control fraud” (frauds led by those that control a seemingly legitimate entity and use it as a "weapon" to defraud), the rise of the “Imperial CEO" in America, and what investors can do to reign in managerial excesses.
(NOTE: If you wish to ask a question, please click on the “Ask a Question” button at the top of the webcast screen and submit. Click on the adjacent "Attachments” button to view articles, video and other related materials pertaining to Dr. Black’s work. Please also feel free to rate the webcast by clicking on the “rate this” button.)
BLB&G’s Real-Time Speaker Series hosts candid conversations with academics, policy makers, and other experts about the financial markets and issues of importance to the institutional investor community.
Connected healthcare continues to expand as innovations in technology and services flourish. Consequently, the adoption of digital health solutions has increased significantly throughout the industry.
While the U.S. healthcare system evolves and embraces lower costs and improving quality of care and access, opportunities are emerging in connected healthcare. The industry is driven by health IT development, growth of connected and savvy users, as well as cloud based- software as a service (SaaS) delivery models.
Join Frost & Sullivan’s Connected Health team, as they host a panel discussion on the 2016 connected healthcare predictions and current insights on key areas within the market. The panel will be followed by a live Q&A session. This is the first of the Connected Health team’s new quarterly webinar series.
Attend this webinar to discover:
• Key market predictions including merger and acquisitions (M&A), partnerships, as well as areas of growth and controversy in 2016
• New data regarding consumers; how they view their health and interests in digital health tools
• Latest perspectives on telehealth and remote patient monitoring
• The progression of the ambulatory electronic health records space and what this means for providers
In this annual webcast, our panel will analyze key developments in SEC enforcement and notable events from 2015, and will discuss what to look for in 2016. Among other items, the panel will address:
•Results of litigation and current issues arising from SEC administrative proceedings;
•Actions involving financial fraud, gatekeepers, market structure, and investment management;
•The impact of the Whistleblower Program, use of technology, and requiring admissions in settlements;
•Significant “first ever” cases in a broad range of areas; and much more
Across Europe, there is a high level of focus on adoption of digital health as a means to drive healthcare efficiency. In Sweden, there are several projects that have been initiated to address this challenge and there is an ongoing discussion about the role of Continua. One of the challenges in achieving the full potential of digital health is turning the data collected from a variety of sources into accessible timely information that individuals (patients, careers, clinicians and managers) can act on. Interoperability standards have an important part to play in generating this value from the investment made in data collection and storage. By using an international standard, your project won't get locked into one vendor and it will be easy to share information between systems.
Frost & Sullivan’s experts are predicting another year of big disruptions, transformations and innovations as the healthcare industry continues to overhaul outmoded business models. This annual forecast aims to help stakeholders understand key issues affecting the healthcare industry. In 2016, advances in areas ranging from wearables to blood testing as well as artificial intelligence, expect to help shape the industry.
The webinar will identify market risks and opportunities for stakeholders developing solutions connected to the pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical technologies, diagnostics and healthcare IT sectors that can impact industry participants.
Attend this webinar to:
- Gain insightful predictions and probative analysis of the global healthcare industry in 2016
- Discover key strategies and initiatives executed by companies to capture opportunities for solutions in health, wellness and prevention
- Track the progress of key macro level industry trends and their projected milestones for 2016
- Participate in an interactive Q&A session with Frost & Sullivan’s senior industry thought leaders
The word is out—the SEC has made good on its promise to pay millions of dollars in awards to those who come forward with evidence of securities law violations and employees are taking notice. For the fourth consecutive year, 2015 saw the number of tips flowing into the SEC Office of the Whistleblower reach a record high, including a new high for complaints of FCPA violations. Indeed, SEC FCPA Unit Chief Kara Brockmeyer recently described Dodd-Frank’s whistleblower incentive provisions as a “game-changer” for FCPA enforcement. Meanwhile, the SEC’s Division of Enforcement brought an unprecedented enforcement action to discourage what it views as overly restrictive employee confidentiality agreements. And federal courts across the nation continue to reach disparate conclusions concerning the scope of Dodd-Frank’s whistleblower retaliation provisions. These trends, coupled with dynamic developments in FCPA enforcement, provide the perfect storm for keeping in-house counsel and compliance professionals up at night.
Featuring an experienced panel of plaintiff- and defense-side whistleblower and anti-corruption practitioners, including counsel to the whistleblower who received the largest award in Dodd-Frank’s history, this webcast will detail Dodd-Frank’s statutory and regulatory framework, discuss its early and recent interpretations by the SEC Office of the Whistleblower and federal courts, analyze the statute’s intersection with the FCPA, and provide the participant with practical tips for navigating the minefield of whistleblower complaints.
This session will share insights into how SAP’s HANA in-memory database along with Intel tailored hardware are being leveraged by the American Society of Clinical Oncology, to bring genome aware medicine to cancer patients everywhere.
Passenger growth, increasing competition between airports, and a focus on growing revenues has stimulated investment in new technology to improve operational performance. Technology innovation and the digital transformation of airports over the next 15 years will lead to new business models, applications and competition.
Attendees will be given insights into:
• What’s leading to a change in airport investment?
• How will this change current operations?
• Who will be the winners and losers?
• What might the future look like?
- Hear examples of unstructured data types most commonly added to healthcare Big Data implementations
- From the semantic web to ICU audio files, which are the most interesting data sources inside and outside of the clinic
- The coolest ‘v’ of the four ‘v’s of Big Data is variety; hear best practices on adding this to a data lake
- Predicting readmission and sepsis has proliferated, what’s next?
- Data science is now mainstream and much easier in a Big Data sandbox, what’s the easiest way to set this up in healthcare?
The global computed tomography (CT) metrology market is at a nascent state of its life cycle in terms of market adoption. CT is progressively recognized as a promising solution for quality control and, therefore, a number of OEMs and research organizations are currently participating in the added development of CT systems and broadening their application in the market.
This briefing will investigate application areas and penetration rates on a global scale. Learn about regional analyses featuring market drivers and restraints.
Why you should attend:
* Receive highlights of key growth opportunities in the marketplace.
• Get up-to-date information about current and potential industry participants.
* Discuss key end-user requirements for widespread adoption of CT technology.
* Hear an actionable set of recommendations for market entry and growth.
* Participate in live interaction with industry expert analysts.
The North American aluminum industry is gearing up for the anticipated demand growth in the automotive industry, which is striving to make lighter and more fuel-efficient vehicles.
This presentation will cover the entire aluminum industry in the NA region and how it will benefit the following: integrated manufacturers, secondary producers including re-rollers, extruders, foil manufacturers, distributors, and end users primarily in automotive and metal packaging.
Why you should attend:
·Learn about trends and shifts in the global arena, and their relevance on the NA aluminum industry.
·Discover the top three challenges faced by the industry.
·Hear about recycling benefits for environment sustainability via reduced carbon footprint.
Hear perspectives and insights from industry thought leaders regarding:
- Hype vs. reality in real world applications of ‘big data’ systems in healthcare delivery?
- Why now?
- Through case studies some examples of plausible expectations for the scale and timeframe of ROI.
- What changes in operations , infrastructure, and protocol is required to ensure maximum value of invested technologies?