Debra Farber, ITSPmagazine | Chris Roberts, Acalvio | Dr. Christopher Pierson, Viewpost | Arun Vishwanath, SUNY Buffalo
- Broadcast LIVE from Las Vegas during Black Hat 2017 -
As a society, we continue to focus on the capabilities that new technological products and services bring to bear, leaving the security - or rather, the safety - conversation for a later date and time… if at all.
Why is this? Perhaps it’s because we don’t care. Or, perhaps it’s because we don’t understand how things work. Or, maybe it’s because we don’t know all the technical mumbo jumbo. Or, it could just be that we expect “someone else” to take care of it for us. For example, every car has a seat belt, right? We don’t have to ask for the car dealer to add seat belts for us and there really aren’t different types of seat belts available in the commercial car arena. Cars just come with seat belts - period. We expect them to be there - even if some people choose to not wear them.
Regardless of the reason(s) behind the lack of conversation surrounding cybersecurity, we should all be able to agree on one simple fact: we use these new gadgets and services completely unfettered - with little to no regard to the risks we face for our privacy and even our safety.
Attend this session to gain the initial knowledge necessary by:
- Learning to ask is this thing secure?
- Understanding how or why it is or isn’t safe to use.
- Identifying your role in your own cyber safety and that of those around you.
It’s time to open our eyes and become aware of our surroundings. Join us to become aware.
- Debra Farber, Host of The Privacy Pact, ITSPmagazine
- Chris Roberts, Chief Security Architect, Acalvio Technologies
- Dr. Christopher Pierson, CSO and General Counsel, Viewpost
- Arun Vishwanath, Associate Professor at SUNY Buffalo & Black Hat Presenter