Bryana Lee, Chris Fidler, Dustyn Lanz, Jon Hale and Moderator Ian Tam
Is Sustainable Investing Growing Responsibly?
At the end of the second quarter of 2021, sustainable assets (excluding fund of funds) hit $26 billion in assets under management, a quarter-over-quarter growth rate of 22% and a year-over-year growth rate of 130%. As Canadian fund companies continue to ramp up their marketing and product efforts in this space, investors are taking the opportunity to grow their money in line with their values. Curiously, aside from the core regulation that a fund’s prospectus should not mislead investors, there is yet to be formal regulation on the disclosures of ESG-related fund practices in Canada. Are investors getting what they think they’re buying? That’s the question we are looking to answer in our latest Executive forum, where are panelists will also address:
• Are Canada’s fund companies doing a good job in the sustainable investment space spite of a lack of explicit standards around investment products?
• When can we use ESG Risk as a measure of a fund’s approach, and when does it not make sense?
• How prevalent is greenwashing amongst Canada’s fund companies?
• Bryana Lee, legal counsel, Ontario Securities Commission
• Chris Fidler, senior director, global industry standards, CFA Institute
• Dustyn Lanz, CEO, RIA Canada
• Jon Hale, director, sustainability research, Morningstar
• Moderator: Ian Tam, director of investment research, Morningstar Canada