Peter Zaitsev, Percona CEO; Amanda Brock, OpenUK CEO; Luis Villa, Tidelift Co-founder
About this talk
- The Changing Face of Open Source Database Software Adoption. How the Market Changed in the Last 12 Months. - Peter Zaitsev
In this wide-ranging state of the market keynote, Peter will be discussing a range of recent themes and developments. These include:
1) the overall growth of open source and how this might have been impacted by Covid-19.
2) The role of the public cloud - is this be good or bad for open source?
3) The top reasons companies choose open source software.
4) Whether licensing changes could change the direction of open source software.
5) Why your company should be actively contributing to open source.
- Driving Open Source Forward in a Commercial Environment - The Challenges and Opportunities for Open Source Software - Amanda Brock
Amanda will go through her extensive research in the business of open source, the commercial and revenue models in open source, and her personal experience of over a decade working around open source and legal discussions. She will look at the events of the last decade of open source commercialization and cover the future of a healthy open source ecosystem.
- Licenses: Ethical Framework, Business Model, Neither, Both? - Luis Villa
Almost 25 years ago, the "open for business" and "free as in freedom" software camps split apart. Since then, the two groups have used largely identical copyright licenses to reach largely divergent ethical and business goals.
That tension has ebbed and flowed ever since, and has now reached a recent peak with two new groups of licenses that break the old rules, trying to encourage investment—or protect human rights.
In this talk, we'll review the history of these conflicts, and give the audience some tools to help understand what these new licenses mean for our industry and our future.
Percona is a leading provider of unbiased open source database solutions that allow organizations to easily, securely, and affordably maintain business agility, minimize risks, and stay competitive. Percona provides single-source expertise in multi-vendor environments that eliminates lock-in, increases agility and enables business growth.…