Jon Hale, Jason Pereira, and Fate Saghir with moderator Ian Tam
In December of 2021, the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) updated its guidance, encouraging advisors to understand clients’ preferences around Environmental, Social, and Governance considerations when completing the Know-Your-Client process. Though advisors are urged to record this information, the guidance does not yet require advisors to implement these preferences in investment recommendations. To do that, advisors would first need to understand clients’ preferences, and then find products that meet those investment objectives. How would one go about doing that?
The panel will address the following:
• Where does an advisor begin in recording an investor’s ESG preferences?
• What techniques can be used to determine the degree of commitment an investor has to ESG?
• How to differentiate between an investor’s pecuniary ESG beliefs and nonpecuniary ESG preferences?
• Where can one find suitable sustainable investments?
• How can investors tell whether sustainable investments meet their stated objectives?
Jon Hale, Director, Sustainability Research, Morningstar
Jason Pereira, Partner and Senior Financial Consultant, Woodgate Financial Inc.
Fate Saghir, SVP, Head of Sustainability, Mackenzie Investments
Moderator: Ian Tam, Director of Investment Research, Morningstar