Charles Betz, Research Director, EMA
Ten years after the concept of the CMDB began to gain traction in the US, it remains controversial. Is it worth doing? Is it even possible? What about the related topics of Configuration Management System and Service Knowledge Management System?
Join EMA research director and published CMDB practitioner Charles Betz as he discusses how to approach the CMDB in terms of your real world needs, return on investment, and execution. He will discuss the ITIL theory versus the realities of implementing these complex and challenging capabilities in dynamic and politicized IT environments.
He’ll present a field tested approach to understanding and scoping CDMB requirements, designing an effective CMDB solution, successfully implementing it, and operating it for the greatest value. Specific topics will include:
- How to build a business case for the CMDB, and a surprisingly overlooked value proposition
- The critical clarifying distinction you MUST make at the start of your CMDB journey
- Why, where, and how to embed the CMDB in your IT operating model
- An agile and iterative approach to CMDB
- Vertical vs. horizontal strategies
- Data quality, a life or death topic for the CMDB
- CMDB, CMS, and SKMS and the “business of IT” architecture