Morningstar invites you to join our analysts to discuss Alternative Investment Strategies. Topics include:
* Looking at major alternative investment strategies offered via ETFs besides commodities: real estate, currency strategies, hedge fund ETFs, etc.
* What are the returns structures of these various alternatives compared to traditional asset classes?
* What kind of diversification benefits and return potential do they have?
* Accounting for liquidity risk, non-stable correlations, and non-normal returns distributions in a portfolio-building framework
RecordedNov 24 201040 mins
Your place is confirmed, we'll send you email reminders
ETF managed portfolios are funds or mandates that invest at least 50% in ETFs.
In this webinar, Morningstar analyst Gordon Rose will remind listeners of the growth seen in the European ETF market and provide an overview of ETF managed portfolios. In particular, he’ll discuss:
-Strategies that have attracted the most inflows year-to-date;
-What the fund managers say about ETF managed portfolios;
-What he sees for the development of the ETF market in the future.
Morningstar senior fund analyst Al Kellett will provide an introduction to what the term ‘smart beta’ means, and start off this webinar by taking a look at the smart beta ETF landscape, how big this subset of the ETF market is and how it’s been growing. He’ll then illustrate why it’s hard to define and discuss some of the ways that this strategy is being carried out right now in the marketplace.
Morningstar ETF experts Hortense Bioy, Jose Garcia-Zarate, Al Kellett and Gordon Rose will answer all your ETF questions, no matter how big or small. Submit your questions in advance at ETFQueries@morningstar.com or live on the day via the BrightTALK webinar platform. We’ve already got a list of your questions to address, including how dividends are treated in ETFs and what impact this could have on performance; what costs are associated with ETFs beyond the total expense ratio; how to tell how actively traded an ETF is; and how to decide which ETF to buy when faced with several products tracking the same index.
Smart beta strategies have gained a lot of attention in recent years, and more and more smart beta ETFs are being launched in Europe. This live panel discussion between Morningstar analysts and users of smart beta strategies will address these questions:
What exactly are these alternative beta strategies?
Are they better than the traditional market cap-weighted approach or just different?
What are the pitfalls?
How can these strategies be integrated into one’s investment process?
The agenda will be to define the terms Tracking Error and Tracking Difference and talk about why they are important; to present the results of our study into the tracking efficiency of a sample of ETFs; and introduce a new Morningstar data point for measuring tracking efficiency, Estimated Holding Cost.
Ben Johnson, Director of Passive Fund Research Europe and Asia, Morningstar
Why even consider the alternatives?
Why use ETFs to access alternative asset classes?
Exploring the menu of alternative asset classes accessible via the ETF wrapper:
- Hedge Funds
The April edition of monthly ETF webinar focuses on discussing the philosophy behind using ETFs as portfolio building blocks, how to choose the right ones, and understand Best Practices when Trading ETFs
Ben Johnson, Director of European ETF Research, Morningstar
In the February edition of Morningstar's monthly ETF webinars, director of European ETF research Ben Johnson goes back to basics and provides essential knowledge for all investors considering these exchange-traded products. Topics to be covered include:
•A 21st Century Investing Technology
•Definition via Juxtaposition:
oETFs vs. Funds
oETFs vs. Individual Securities
oETFs vs. Investment Trusts
oETFs vs. Other ETPs
Morningstar invites you for a discussion about mid-caps: are they really under-researched and offer superior returns?
- Mid-Caps Defined
- Do Mid-Caps Offer Attractive Risk/Return Characteristics?
- Are Mid-Caps Under-Researched And Under-Represented?
- What drives mid caps performance relative to large caps?
- How can I access mid caps?
Ben Johnson, Director of European ETP Research, Morningstar
Morningstar invites you to discuss counterparty risk in ETPs:
- What are the sources of counterparty risk in ETPs?
- How are investors being protected from this risk?
- How are they being compensated for assuming this risk?
- How is the industry addressing concerns over these risks?
- What more can be done to further illuminate and mitigate this risk?