Cloud File Services: SMB/CIFS and NFS…in the Cloud
John Reed, Product Manager, Windows File Services, NetApp; David Fair, SNIA-ESF Business Development Chair - Intel
About this talk
What if you could have all of your data in the cloud with the same experience and level of control that you currently have on-premises? Introducing the concept of Cloud File Services: SMB/CIFS and NFS...in the cloud!
Companies and startups abound offering "sync & share" solutions across multiple devices and locations, but for the enterprise, caveats are everywhere. Often, only one root folder can sync, applications can't write into it, the sync protocol latency is too long, or the size limit is too small. Plus, let's face it: File Services is about a lot more than simple homedirs.
Imagine evaporating your existing file server into the cloud. Not only will the aforementioned issues cease to exist, but also you will have the same administrative experience, the same data management functionalities, and the same protocols - SMB 3 & NFS 4.1 - that have helped redefined File Services.
Content to cover:
• Existing environment on-premises
• Split administration with sync & share solutions and on-premises file services
• Applications over File Services on-premises (SMB 3, NFS 4.1)
• Moving to the cloud: your storage OS in a hyperscalar or service provider
• Accommodating existing File Services workloads with Cloud File Services
• Accommodating cloud-hosted applications over Cloud File Services
The Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA) is a non-profit organization made up of member companies spanning information technology. A globally recognized and trusted authority, SNIA’s mission is to lead the storage industry in developing and promoting vendor-neutral architectures, standards and educational services that facilitate the efficient management, movement and security of information.…