David Linthicum, SVP, Cloud Technology Partners & Cloud Computing Analyst, Gigaom Research
While public cloud computing continues to mature as a technology, those in charge of public cloud solutions within enterprises adopt the technology at their own pace, and for their own reasons. Indeed, they are all on separate journeys, but with many of the same business objectives. In order to determine the progress of enterprises’ journey to the public cloud, Gigaom created a survey designed to understanding what is happening within enterprises that are adopting public cloud computing.
Key items discovered in this survey include:
1. The use of public cloud computing is quickly expanding, and most organizations already exploit public cloud-based resources to run both critical and non-critical business systems.
2. Application development and testing are among the highest value uses of leveraging the public cloud, and most enterprises have moved from proof of concept to actual deployments in the last few years.
3. A larger number of business units leverage public cloud resources that are made up largely of AWS and a few other public cloud providers.
4. A surprising number of public cloud instances support the daily operations of many businesses, with a smaller percentage emerging as heavy users that leverage a massive amount of public cloud resources.
5. First cloud projects are a thing of the past, with most working on their second, third, or more major cloud deployments.
6. Change management and cloud governance are becoming more commonplace and accepted by enterprises.
In this lunchtime keynote presentation, David Linthicum provides a look at what’s occurring right now as enterprises move to public clouds using real data from real adopters. What’s more, Linthicum will provide predictions around what is likely to occur in the world of cloud computing in 2015 and 2016, as well as recommendations around how you can exploit changes and growth of cloud-based platforms to your own best advantage.